think…KNOW that I’m absolutely obsessed with anything chocolate! I also love hints of any flavor, and coconut has to be at the top of that list. There’s coconut extract in these cupcakes which give them such a crisp taste of the flavor, as if you’re actually bitting into a coconut! But don’t get me wrong, these cupcakes are SO soft (unlike a coconut :P) and have a very rich taste!
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon coconut
- 1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 5-6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift the box of cake mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients for the cupcakes until combined well. Mix the cake mix in until completely combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners only 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let rest for 5-10 minutes in the muffin tin, then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter until very light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add in the cocoa powder, coconut, and only 5 tablespoons heavy cream. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until you have a smooth consistency. If your frosting is too thick and unspreadable, add an extra tablespoon of heavy cream in at a time until you have the right consistency.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using any tip you desire (I used Wilton 2D). Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes on top of the frosting. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days.
Adapted from Le Creme De La Crumb