A dark chocolate cake doughnut dipped in a rich chocolate ganache and topped with chocolate sprinkles for a true chocolate delicacy!
Holy Spring! I don’t know about the rest of America, but here in Western NY, we had BEAUTIFUL weather this past weekend. I couldn’t ask for anything more than sunny and in the 70s!
Well, for Spring that is. Now it just needs to be beach weather!
Speaking of beach weather, I probably should stop baking desserts with so much chocolate in them. All in moderation, right?
Plus, I think I’m the biggest chocaholic out there. I could seriously devour any dessert covered, layered, and baked with chocolate. You could probably tell from my recipes like this.
But if you love chocolate as much as me, you’ll LOVE these doughnuts!
The cake is super moist and fluffy and goes so well with the chocolate ganache on top. And instead of traditional sprinkles, I had to go with MORE chocolate by adding chocolate sprinkles on top of the ganache! Take one bite and you’ll be in love!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cake flour, dark cocoa powder, dark brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix together until ingredients are throughly combined together. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure there’s no dry crumbs left.
- Pour the batter into the doughnut pan until each doughnut mold is about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the doughnuts comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the doughnuts onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Once the doughnuts are fully cooled, make the chocolate ganache glaze. Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips into a medium-sized bowl and set aside. In a separate small microwavable bowl, pour in the heavy cream. Microwave the heavy cream for about 1 minute, or until cream is hot. Pour cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute, then whisk together until well-combined together.
- Dip the tops of each doughnut into the chocolate ganache and place back onto the wire rack. Sprinkle on the chocolate jimmies. Let doughnuts sit for a few minutes to allow the ganache to harden slightly.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
All images & content are copyright protected by Bake with Christina. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.