These Lemon Lavender Scones are super flakey, buttery, and bursting with flavor!
As most of you may know, I’m a senior at the State University of New York at Fredonia. And for the first time since I started at this college (close to 3 and a half years ago), they held their first ever cooking competition called FREDChef that was held yesterday! And let me tell you, it was beyond AMAZING!! There were three teams, with three people on each team, and basically replicated the show on The Food Network, Chopped.
Our “mystery basket” included chicken breasts, fresh pears, lemon juice, and dijon mustard. Each team had to cook three plates (one for each of the three judges) that included an entree, starch, and vegetable. Our team made grilled lemon chicken with a pear salsa, honey dijon roasted red potatoes, and pan seared lemon asparagus.
Just basing off the fact that I’m much more of a baker than a cook, I’m super proud of myself! Our team came in second, with the winning team only winning by one point. But honestly, I couldn’t care less about the winning factor, I’m just glad I had an incredible time being able to cook for judges, while an audience was watching. Something that I could definitely get used to!
So on to these scones! I seriously can’t get my mind off of lemon desserts. And just like my last recipe, I added another flavor along with the lemon…and this time it’s lavender!! Just one of my all-time favorite herbs!
These scones are so incredibly flakey and buttery, and not to mention, FULL of flavor! You’ll get an instant sniff of lemon when these babies are around, and I’m not complaining! Easily one of my favorite scents! And when you bite into them, you’ll get a burst of lemon with a hint of lavender – yum!!
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Dried lavender, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, dried lavender, and lemon zest. Using a pastry cutter, fork, or your finger, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold in the heavy cream, egg yolk, and lemon juice until well combined and crumbs are folded into the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten the ball into a circle about 1” thick. Cut the circle into eight equal triangles (something that replicates a pizza).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Once the scones are fully cooled, make the glaze. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until well combined and smooth. Drizzle glaze over scones, garnish with dried lavender (if desired), and serve. Enjoy!
All images & content are copyright protected by Bake with Christina. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.